Friday, April 12, 2013

What's Stopping Me?



Lately in my Connect Group (Connection Church's version of "small groups") we have been working on articulating and writing down our testimonies. Last night we talked about what stops us from sharing the Gospel and talking about Jesus with others, particularly non-believers. And what is it? Because it's not something I do very often. If I am around a bunch of other Christians, it's easy for me to praise God and all He has done in my life. It's even easy to talk about on here. But out in the "real world," it's hard. Really hard. It's hard talking to my friends and family and it's definitely hard talking to strangers. Why is that??

If I really believe what the Bible says, shouldn't I be jumping up and down to tell others about Jesus? Shouldn't it be my heart's desire? If I believe that without Jesus, we are destined for Hell, if I believe that God's grace provides our needs in life, and if I believe that the Holy Spirit living in us makes us more like Jesus and allows us to go through life's hardships with more joy, peace, patience, love, and all the other fruit of the Spirit...then WHY would I not want to share that with as many other people as possible? Especially those who I already know and care about, like friends and family.

For me I had to think about the times when it's easy, and figure out why that is. It's easy to talk about it with other believers, because I know that they feel a similar way. They won't argue. They won't be offended. They won't think I'm crazy or weird. They won't get defensive or feel put-off by my passion. It's easy to talk about it on here because I don't have to look you all in the eyes and see your reactions. Worst case, you just quit reading. I haven't even had any negative comments.

So, I think it boils down to a fear of man. This fear takes many forms, depending on the situation. I'm afraid that my passion and vigor will rub people the wrong way and will turn them further from the Lord. How many of you have experienced someone who tried to talk to you about God and it turned you off from the whole topic? I know I have. Even as a Christian, I have. I'm afraid that people will think I'm weird or crazy. I'm afraid they'll put me in a religious box that doesn't adequately define who I really am. I'm afraid that I will offend people. That rather than hear how God has saved me and the awesome things he has done for me, they will instead hear nothing but I think you are going to Hell. (Which, by the way, is very rarely what I'm thinking at any given moment!!) And I suppose I'm also afraid that they might challenge me in ways that I'm not equipped to handle. They may ask me things that I can't answer. My attempts to answer may not be quite accurate. What if I paint Christ in the wrong light?

But I guess here's the thing--I have to TRUST that GOD is going to work THROUGH ME to reach people. If I allow the Spirit to move in me to talk to others, my words and my passion and my answers will do exactly what they're meant to do. Sure, people may still think I'm crazy and they may still be offended or rubbed the wrong way. But it's not because I did something wrong, it's because they are not ready to hear the word of God. It's not up to me to convince someone, I can only share the love of God with others and they can choose to accept it or not. God will either use those words to draw them near or to plant a seed that will come to fruition later or to not have any impact at all. But that part isn't up to me. Not if I'm trusting God.

And as for the rest...I need to GET OVER MYSELF! So what if I make someone mad or they think I'm nuts? Do I care more about myself than bring God glory or saving someone's soul? Yes, maybe I do. And that is probably the second reason why it's so darn hard!

I just pray that God would help me get over myself and would give me the courage and strength and the open heart to be used.

Anyone else struggle with this? Is there anything that makes this easier for you? I would love to hear!

Have a great weekend!
~Christy~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...