Thursday, May 3, 2012

Doing What's Best

As I've previously mentioned, we have fleas. We have tried a number of things to get rid of them, many thing which probably seem like pure torture to our poor cats! We have given them baths (what an adventure!), put stuff on their necks, made them swallow things, and put them in cat carriers and made them sit outside while the house was being fogged. Since NONE of that worked, we are having the exterminator come spray the house today. Unfortunately this means the poor kitties have to go back in their carriers and be locked outside, sitting in the carport, until the man sprays and it is safe to re-enter. They don't like being in their carriers. Zoe Cat was particularly stressed this morning. She ran and hid under the bed in the guest room, inside the lining under the mattress. We had to turn the bed over and dig her out! As we drove away to work, looking at the poor babies sitting in their carriers, being left alone for approximately 6 hours, I definitely cried. Not just teary eyes...like full tears and sniffles. I had to pull myself together long enough to put my makeup on. It was rough.

They love bags! :)

Gus Gus and Zoe Cat...getting along for a minute!

Sweet snuggle kitties! :)

I was thinking about what the cats must think. They have no idea why we're doing all this to them. In their eyes, we may be punishing them, or just torturing them for fun (hopefully they don't actually have these complex thoughts!). But really we are HELPING them. We are doing what is best for them. And even though it's super unpleasant for them now, it will ultimately get rid of the fleas which are hurting them more in the long-run. But they don't know that's what we're doing, and we can't really communicate that to them. And they don't know that I was so upset that I was crying.

And all of that made me think about our own lives, and the part God plays in it. I talk a lot about God doing everything for our good and how we cannot always see it. I think this is a good portrayal of just that. We may be going through a lot in our lives. It may seem like torture. And we may be thinking...WHY is God doing this to me?? What did I do to deserve this type of treatment? But maybe he's just locking us up in a cat carrier while he gets rid of the fleas in our lives. Okay, it's a stretch when you say it like that! But seriously. Maybe what we're going through in that moment is just what has to happen to make another area better. And we are not God. We don't think like Him or do things like Him. So we may not understand. It may not make sense to us. Like the cats who can't see the bigger picture, sometimes neither can we. But I hope I can trust when things seem awful that God is still in control and has a purpose for all things in my life, and that the purpose is for my good.

And one last thought on this...is it possible God feels the way I do when he has to put us through things for our own good? Does He wish I could understand? Does He long to explain it and ease my suffering? Does He want to cry in despair even though He knows it is for the best? I don't know. But I know that He feels for us and cares for us, so I think in some way...yes. He does. And for me that is a very comforting thought.

God, I want to trust in you more. I want to accept all aspects of my life, without complaining, because I can trust that you care for me and are working all things together for my good. Thank you, God, for protecting me and caring for me, even when I am ungrateful. Even when my limited scope on the situation causes me to be angry and confused. I know you are doing what's best, and I appreciate that you do it even when it's hard...for me and maybe even for you. 

Love,
Christy

1 comment:

  1. I have definitely cried about having to do something to my dogs for their good before. Such a great comparison to relate it to how God probably feels toward us!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...