Friday, July 27, 2012

God Choices: SOAR Leader

{God Choices: GSU}

Hello, friends! To catch up those who are just joining in, I’m writing a series of personal stories about decisions that I believe were from God because they came out of nowhere and I felt so certain about them. And, not coincidentally, they have been the best decisions of my life! Today I’m talking about my decision to be a SOAR leader!

When I checked in at SOAR (GSU’s orientation), I was vaguely aware of the students (SOAR Leaders) handing me my nametag and ushering me into the Russell Union Ballroom. I did not know who they were, how they attained this role, or really anything at all about them. As I sat in the audience, the group of SOAR leaders took the stage and performed a super cheesy dance, complete with dubbed in equally cheesy lyrics, welcoming us to GSU. All the cool kids around me snickered and whispered insults about the group and their overly perky smiles and off-rhythm dance moves. I was so enthralled that I hardly noticed. My heart pounded, my fingertips tingled, and my foot shook back and forth, the way it does whenever I have too much nervous or excited energy to sit completely still. I turned to my dad, pointed to the stage, and whispered, “I’m going to do that.” He laughed at me, thinking I must be joking. I was not. I had no idea what being a SOAR leader was even about, but I knew I would be one. The following year, I saw a flyer advertising the leadership role and asking for applications. I immediately applied and told my roommate that I would need to stay in Statesboro for the summer because I was going to be a SOAR leader. I found out rather quickly that the position is very competitive. It is the ultimate student leadership role, and those who are accepted are highly marketable within the campus community. But I still had no doubts. And yes, I was accepted. The experience changed my life. I gained cultural competencies I didn’t even know I lacked. I met amazing people, and my self-esteem and confidence began to soar (excuse the pun!). I had always been extremely shy, so this coming-out was truly revolutionary for me.

I had no idea at the time how pivotal this experience would be for my future. After SOAR ended, I transitioned to a job in the Office of Admissions. At the time I just needed a job, and my SOAR experience helped me attain it. The longer I worked in Higher Ed, the more I fell in love with it. Everything about it. Working with college students, assisting with University-wide goals and missions, and getting that satisfied feeling every time I made a student’s experience at Georgia Southern better. When I graduated and started the Masters in Teaching (M.A.T) program, I stayed on in the Office of Admissions as a Graduate Assistant. When I had to quit to complete my student teaching, I cried. How could this be the end of working for Georgia Southern? How could this be the end of all the experiences from the past four years?

Once I determined that teaching was not my thing, I had to decide where to take my life next. It didn’t take long for me to focus on Student Services in Higher Education. And now I’m working on a Master’s in Counseling in Student Services in Higher Ed. Who knew that being a SOAR leader would be the start of my entire future career? Who knew it would spark a passion in me that I didn’t even fully realize until years later? Who knew that it would be a vital part of my resume and help me attain internships and, hopefully, my first full-time job after graduation? God knew. That’s why he put it on my heart that first day of orientation to be a SOAR Leader. It is not something I ever would have done on my own! Being so shy, the idea of dancing in front of all those people, mingling with parents, and leading small groups with incoming students would have terrified the socks off me! But I did it with all my heart and walked away a different person. I am so thankful that God intervened in my life to redirect it, even if it took me stubbornly pursuing my own plans of teaching before I could fully accept it. And I can say with certainty that God’s plan is always better than your own. It was way better than mine anyway.



We kicked it off with a weekend camping trip to bond as a team <3

Me and some fellow leaders at the Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW)

On the bus at SROW

We got to hold this giant snake at our training session at the GSU Wildlife Center
The post card all the incoming students received :)


Doing the cheesy skit for the parents. I was the mom who called EVERY day (which was a no-no lesson for the parents!)

Fellow leaders at a SOAR Reunion in 2007

3 comments:

  1. Love this! That was the year I roomed with your co-SOAR leader, Brandi Odom. All these pictures take me back to my senior year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, love this!! I did something similar at our college and I loved being involved with all the incoming students!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it has taken me this long to see this post! Such a great story, and I so agree with the impact this organization (more importantly the people involved) have shaped all of us! I think if I ever pursue something other than accounting, it would be to work with the Office of Admissions or some other amazing group of people at Georgia Southern :)

    That was a great year, Wendi! So glad we were roommates :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...