Friday, August 2, 2013

Pregnancy Must-Haves: First Aid

Okay, let's be real. A large portion of pregnancy is just dealing with the various side effects, right? So here are the things I have needed throughout my pregnancy. Sorry if some of this is TMI, but I figured we should be real about it. If you are pregnant or will be in the future, some of this might come in handy for you to know!

Coconut Oil
Coconut 101 Uses for Coconut Oil
I haven't actually started using this yet, so maybe it's silly to list it, but I have plans! 
My doula recommended it for perennial massage to avoid tearing during labor. 
Yes, we're getting real right away!! ha!
It's recommended that you start this about 5-7 weeks before labor.
So, that's coming up! 
I've also found an awesome website that shares all the uses of coconut oil, and it's a lot! 
Another thing is for sore or cracked nipples during breastfeeding, but there are
tons of non-pregnancy related things out there. Check it out!

Tums & Pepcid
Oh my, the heartburn!! 
I was eating Tums like they were candy for a while there!
My OB finally prescribed me Pepcid, which I take 1-2 times a day to keep from getting heartburn.
It still happens after certain meals, but it has been a life saver! 
If you struggle with heartburn and Tums ain't cuttin' it, 
check with your OB about what other medications you can safely take.

Prenatal Vitamins
I started taking these when we started trying to get pregnant.
I used to take them in the morning, but was advised to switch to before bed 
to help with nausea during the first trimester. 
Not sure if it helped or not,
but I've continued to take them at night.
These are super important for you and your baby to get all the nutrients you need.
Different stages of pregnancy require more of certain things.
It's important to try and get most of your nutrients from food,
but this can give you peace of mind that you're still getting a good dose of everything regardless.

Tucks Wipes & Preparation H
Okay, I realize how TMI this is. 
But if you suffer from this, you'll want to know that both of these are helpful!!
I've also found that a warm bath, cold compresses, and trying to lay on your side also helps. 
And of course, a high fiber diet and lots of water!
But anyone who knows anything about being pregnant knows that things don't always...
go as smoothly as they otherwise would! 
Okay, I'm done with this!

Coco-butter Lotion
This is actually the brand I use
There is no proof that using this will help with stretch marks,
but heck! It couldn't hurt, right?? (I don't have any yet. Coincidence?)
I bought a really cheap kind and I use it all over my body.
It's soothing and feels nice to be soft and smooth all over,
plus I like the smell. 
And it definitely can help with itchy skin, which tends to happen as the skin on your belly stretches. 

Panty Liners
One final personal thing! 
I'll just say it, 
discharge happens.
And as most of us move further along in our pregnancies, it tends to increase.
I finally decided that rather than being uncomfortable and ruining 
perfectly good underwear, I would just wear panty liners all the time.
Maybe that's not for everyone, but it's been a good solution for me. 

And that's it for my First Aid must-haves! 
I know this one wasn't very fun, 
but it needs to be said. 
Most of us pregnant mommies deal with these things,
so why not talk about it? 
(Hey, at least I posted on a Friday so probably no one is really going to read it anyway! ha!)
Have a great weekend! :)

~Christy~

1 comment:

  1. EVERYONE should have coconut oil (says the girl who doesn't own any) I've heard SO many good things about it!
    I never did that "massage" because I figured I would tear either way. And I sure did but I believe it was only because the cord was wrapped around Mia's neck so we sped her delivery. I pushed her out even though I wasn't having a contraction and of course my doctor helped pull her faster than normal. But I would take tearing over my baby choking any day! (They do the massage the whole time you're pushing so I think if we hadn't had the pressure of getting her outta there, I wouldn't have tore!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...