Tuesday, February 25, 2014

10 Reasons Daycare Kinda Rocks!





It was not our plan to put Grayson in daycare this early. We were hoping to have a friend watch him for close to a year and then put him in a center when he was a little older. I admit, I was heartbroken when that situation didn't work out and we had to start shopping around for daycares. There is always that part of me that wants the very best for him, and I know that no one else in the whole wide world can take care of him like I can. I've got that mommy thing going for me. :) But there is also the very huge part of me that does not want to be a stay at home mom, who thrives on working, who enjoys her career, and doesn't want to feel guilty or like she is compromising the well-being of her child because she wants to work. I struggled with all of this for about a week. Okay. I actually struggle with it all the time. But it's getting better. It's all getting better because, believe it or not, God knew what he was doing when he worked it out for Grayson to start daycare earlier than we had planned. (Go figure!) Because, contrary to my fears and sorrow, daycare kinda rocks!

Here are 10 reasons why!


1. Socialization. Grayson smiles when he sees his teachers, and he’s used to being around other babies his age. I’m not a huge fan of settings where several age groups are all together, but a room of kids his own age is comforting. 

2. Becoming super heroes. Yes, we are going to get sick a lot at first. But think how awesome our immune systems will be from this! By the time he gets to school where attendance is actually important, he’ll be untouchable! (And I’m sure to kiss him all over when he gets home, so that I’m exposed to the same germs and can start making antibodies to pass to him in my milk.)


3. Structure. I would suck as a stay-at-home mom because I wouldn’t provide enough structure. I’m not self-disciplined enough to wake up at the same time when I don’t have anywhere to be. And I’m likely to want to spend time watching TV or even doing productive things like laundry. When Grayson is at daycare, the teachers are dedicated to caring for him and providing him with enriching activities. They have no other agenda. And he has the benefit of waking and going to bed at the same time every day. Kids thrive on that junk. For that matter, so do adults. 


4. Precious, precious time. When I pick up Grayson, I am fully dedicated to him until he goes to bed. I nurse him, snuggle him, play with him, read to him, and eventually rock him to sleep. I cherish those moments with all my heart. And mornings are the absolute best! I look forward to getting up every day and hanging out with him while I get ready for work. He is at his best in the mornings. And weekends are more fun too. I think if I were with him all the time, I would start to take him for granted. I wouldn’t spend as much time memorizing his every feature and finding the significance in the moments that we share.
5. Independence. For both of us. Grayson knows he can survive without me, but he also has the security of knowing I will always be there to pick him up each day. And I have the independence of my job and being an adult. And while I’m always a mom, I get to experience my other identities as well. 


6. Learning. I love teaching Grayson things, and even when he gets home at night, I count with him, show him colors, read to him, and do floor exercises with him. Learning doesn’t stop when he gets home. But I feel comforted knowing that he is in an environment where learning is a high priority. I know he is developing because of his situation, and he is not being left to hang out in a swing all day. 

7. Lots of diaper changes. They check them every 30 minutes to an hour! And diapers are included in the price. Let’s be real. I don’t check him that often when he’s home. And I definitely don’t change him at the first sight of wetness. Ain’t no body got funds for that! But at daycare I know he has a fresh diaper pretty much always.



8. Tummy time. Someone else can force him to do it. ; )


9. I can have a sick day! Stay at home moms don’t get sick days. They have to work regardless. Last week I had a cold and desperately needed rest. Scott took Grayson to daycare as usual and I took a sick day. I took Nyquil the moment they walked out the door and slept until noon. Sweet glory!

10. Peace of mind. I trust them. I feel calm and confident dropping Grayson off. And I can focus on work during the day without worrying how he is doing. They are professionals who care. I trust they can handle whatever comes up. And if not, I know they’ll give me a call. The accreditations and state regulations of having him at a center is actually comforting because I know there is no funny business going on. No need for nanny cams!  
 
And those are just a few of the reasons that we are loving daycare these days! Such a blessing, and I thank God for it all the time! If you are worried about childcare, just know that daycare is not all bad. And you shouldn't feel guilty for needing to put your child in one. I hope you find 10 awesome reasons of your own (or more!) that your childcare situation rocks! :) 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...