Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Tales of a Parent Tuesday! Vol. II

{Vol 1}

At Least it Wasn't Hemorrhoid Cream

If only he always slept this soundly! :)
It's 3:30 AM. Grayson has been extra fussy lately, waking several times a night and wanting to nurse every 1-2 hours. On top of a typical head-cold, he's cutting a molar. He's currently snuggled up next to me in my bed, an attempt to provide some soothing comfort to my poor, aching baby, and an attempt to provide some extra sleep to my poor, foggy brain! But then he wakes -- again -- in a frantic, shrill cry. One of those did-somebody-pinch-you-why-are-you-freaking-out type cries. 

Scott rolls over and mumbles into the pillow, "Did you give him milk?"

"Yes! I just gave him milk like an hour ago. I can give him more milk, but I think there's something else wrong." 

He reaches over to try and snuggle Grayson, who adamantly refuses, acting as though his daddy's warm embrace is an electrical shock or something equally horrifying. 

"Maybe try some orajel?" Scott suggests. 

"Okay. I'll go find it." 

In my sleepy stupor, I dig through the bathroom drawer. One day I will organize this thing! I shove aside travel size bottles of contact solution and half-empty bottles of Pepto Bismol and other medications, searching for something small and tube-like. I don't dare turn on a light, lest it wake Grayson up even more (because he's so peaceful while he's screaming). I pull out what I believe to be the correct tube. I squint my eyes, trying to focus on moonlight alone. I make out the word "Orajel." Bingo! 

I crawl back in bed, squeeze a tiny dab of gel on my finger tip and try to finagle my way between Grayson's gums without getting chomped by his 8 existing teeth. I do a half-hearted job, commence the inevitable nursing session, and try to get all of us back to sleep as quickly as possible.

The next day, Scott notices something unusual on my night stand. 

"Why is that there?" He asks, pointing to the small tube.

"It's the Orajel," I reply.

"Oh. Weird. I thought that was toothpaste. I got it from the dentist."

"No, it says right here, 'Baby Oraje...'" I pause as I read the rest of the wording on the tube. "Toothpaste," I finish reading. 

"Well, I'm not sure that helped his pain, but at least his mouth was clean!" Scott offers. 

I just have to laugh. At least it wasn't hemorrhoid cream or something else that's definitely not suitable for a baby's mouth. I guess that's what happens when you're operating on just a few hours of sleep and have to complete a task in the darkness with a toddler screaming in the background. The very fact that I found something that says "orajel" at all counts as a win in my book!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What crazy mistakes have you made during a night waking? I know we've all got SOMETHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...