Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How Great is Our God!

Remember this family that I've posted about a few times? Remember how things went from bad to promising to hopeless? They moved Brian, the 7-year-old boy, into hospice because doctors said the brain damage was too substantial for him to make a recovery. Well I'm here to tell you that God is wonderful and amazing and CAN work miracles, no matter what doctors may say. (No disrespect to doctors...I'm just saying God can defy what seems logically impossible.)

The day after Christmas, Brian opened his eyes! This led to more tests which showed increased brain activity. They moved him back to the hospital in Savannah for a couple weeks. He has been steadily improving ever since. Last Friday they moved him to Atlanta, where the family lives, to receive treatment and therapy from Scottish Rite. He has been doing SO well! He is responding to sights, sounds, smells, and physical touch and pain. They are teaching him to sit up by himself and the beginning stages of eating on his own. They've already contacted a teacher in the hospital who can work on rehabilitating him to the point of returning to school. This is still a far-off goal, but every tiny goal they have set for him (which seems small to us, able-bodied people, but to someone with significant brain damage they are actually monumental) he has met quickly! I am overjoyed with the growing improvement in Brian and I'm SO thankful to God for answering the prayers of so many around the world.

A couple nights after moving him to Hospice, there were two separate candlelight vigils for him. One in Statesboro and one in Atlanta. Scott & I could not make it to the vigil, but we lit every candle in our house and spent close to an hour in prayer and worship for Brian. It was so powerful pleading with God alongside my husband. We were asked to pray for peace as he passed. I tried to pray for that, but I admitted to God that it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to see a miracle recovery. I wanted to praise God for it. I wanted to be able to tell this story for years to come to show how great God is. Granted, I should be able to do that regardless of the outcome b/c I know that God is great and His plan is perfect. But...I couldn't not pray for recovery. I just couldn't.

And I am unbelievably pleased to say that the prayers are working! Thank you all SO much for your prayers throughout this journey. The family can still use them! Brian still has a long road of recovery ahead of him, and there is still a lot of pain and exhaustion for the family. Please join me in continuing to pray for them, and in praising God for his mercy and love! :)

Have a blessed Tuesday, friends!

~Christy~

1 comment:

  1. That is incredible to hear! So many times we hear a sad ending, but it's so encouraging to hear these miracle stories! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...