Thursday, November 6, 2014

One of those days (no, the other kind!!)

This picture has nothing to do with anything, but how cute is this baby selfie?!?!

Today has been one of those days, and I don't mean "those" days. I mean the good days! :)

Nothing extraordinarily awesome has happened. I'm not doing anything particularly exciting. I'm not traveling to some exotic location or bumming around the house watching movies with my family. It's a regular work day with regular work day routines. But today it's all about the little things for me!

Earlier this week, even last night, I was in a funk. I attribute a lot of it to the time change. If not for how it has affected me, then for how it has affected Grayson. But I think it's been a bit of both. I've felt sluggish and tired, which isn't uncommon these days, but it was more than that. I also felt overwhelmed and stressed, but about nothing in particular. I may have shed some tears over my burrito last night (which is highly unusual since it's one of my very favorite meals!).

But today has felt totally different! First of all, Grayson slept through the night!! I want to say this is maybe the sixth or seventh time he's done this now? Woohoo! I'm still not convinced that it's the new normal or anything, but it's a far cry from the up-every-three-hours-screaming-for-no-reason junk we were dealing with earlier this week. Again, time change, but also three new teeth coming through. And Grayson is transitioning to the 1-year-old room at school, which means he's going 100 miles an hour for most of the day, napping less, and then coming home completely exhausted. It's all we can do to keep him up for the hour or so until bedtime and then he sleeps restlessly through the night, waking up cranky again. (side-bar: Grayson's fussy or cranky does not even register to most people. I realize this. And I know I should not complain!) But anyway, so last night he slept through the night! And here's the kicker...so did I!

Usually, even if Grayson stays asleep, I'm awake every few hours to check the clock, check the monitor, and go to the bathroom because my body is used to waking up frequently. But I have no memory of waking up at all last night!

Due to the awesome night's sleep, I was able to pop out of bed (okay, maybe it was a slow pop!) and go for a jog. It was probably a little shy of two miles, but it was so nice outside and the fresh air filled my lungs and my blood surged through my body and I was quite literally pumped!

Grayson still woke up too early (5:35 AM), but my sweet hubby got up with him and took care of him until I was back home and showered. Then I spent some time snuggling and nursing Grayson and then continued with our morning routine.

Our Bible study time has been a bit strained lately as we're adjusting to Grayson's curiosity and growing ability to get into everything while we're trying to pray and read and reflect. But this morning Grayson played quietly to himself (pro tip: only get the quiet toys out!) and Scott and I were able to have a great discussion about Solomon building the Lord's temple.

All of it was great fuel for my day -- sleep, exercise, family time, getting filled with The Spirit -- it doesn't matter how mundane my day has been ever since, it's been a great day! :) Funny how getting a good start can make all the rest just fall into place.

{Side story -- only a nursing mom could understand the struggle of stuffing your boobs into a sports bra and going for a jog after your child has slept through the night! Then I had a bit of an overflow situation while pumping at work and got milk all over my new pants...and then had to go to a staff meeting! It was still a small price to pay for the sweet, sweet sleep!}

How has YOUR day been? What do you incorporate into your morning routine to help you have a better day? I would love to hear! :)

~Christy~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...