Monday, February 28, 2011

Hold-Over Post

Hello, World!

I realized today that it's been over a week since my last post! I've been meaning to post for a while, and I actually have real stuff to say! I have some Godly things I want to blog about, but it's so much easier to write a quick blog about nonesense! Writing a more serious blog takes time and concentration, and even a little planning. I hope to conquer that soon! Until then, I thought I would write a quick post to hold you over!

Updates on my world--the weekend after my last post (so not this past one but the one before), Sandy Curley, my Mother-in-Law, came down to visit us. She came down Saturday around lunchtime and left in the afternoon. She was on her way down to Florida for the week. Lucky teachers and their winter breaks in February! Anyway, we had a great time with her. She took us out to Chili's and La Berry. After she left, we attempted to fish in our pond for the second time. Scott and I have no idea what we're doing when it comes to fishing. We have all this gear and no clue when to use what! Needless to say, we had no bites. Then we read on the front porch for an hour or so. While we were out there, we heard the Williams clan down at the pond. So, we walked back down there and watched Jeff, Brandon, and Dake all three catch fish! Figures.

Last week I was busy with school and work. We also had our first couples group meeting for church. There were 3 couples there (normally there will be one more). The group leaders did a great job planning the activities and discussions, and Scott and I came away with some new perspectives and something to think about during the week. I'm looking forward to seeing God move in this group!

I only lost .7 pound last week. Which means this week (my final week of my 10 pounds in 2 months challenge) I would have to lose 2.9 pounds to meet my goal. I don't think it's going to happen. Even on my best weeks I've never lost that much at once. And this past weekend I had Taco Bell, Mexican, and Arby's. Yikes! Traveling is bad for me! Road food = fat food!

We went up to Atlanta this past weekend to my Great-Grandmother's house. She is actually out of town this week, but we wanted to go up and clean her house for her. She is 87 years old, has trouble walking around, and has poor eye sight. She can't see most of the filth that had accumulated in her house, and what she can see, she may not physically be able to clean. I know she likes a clean house. Growing up, her house was always super clean. So, it was important to me to serve her in this way. So, we went up and fully cleaned the house--dusted, vacuumed, scrubbed the kitchen and bathrooms. It took us about 7 hours. Thankfully my Great Aunt and Uncle showed up to help us once they found out we were there cleaning. It probably would have taken 9-10 hours if they hadn't helped. But the house looks SO much better now. I'm not sure if she'll even be able to tell when she gets there. My second-cousin lives there as well and he's kind of a slob, for lack of a better word. He obviously didn't care to clean anything before, and he didn't help us while we were there. I just hope he doesn't trash the place before she gets back. But even if she can't tell or it's messy again, I know it's a healthier place for them to live just because of all the dust and mildew we cleaned away. I'm happy to provide the service, even if we don't get much recognition. In fact, I think it's good that we don't. So often we serve others but only with the condition that we receive abundant thanks or even returned favors. I don't want to fall into that habit with service and giving.

Now this week I'm preparing to buckle down for an intense couple of weeks! We have our National Youth at Risk Conference coming up next week at work and it's going to be a mad house this week preparing for it. Then of course next week I'll be in Savannah working at the conference for a few days. Also, midterms are next week and I have a lot due between this week and next for school. And, of course, I would like to work out a lot this week to get at least close to meeting my weight loss goal. But today I have to go grocery shopping after work and then hit the books! I also have huge stacks of laundry waiting for me at home. I won't have time for my full gym workout. But hopefully I'll at least be able to do some exercising at home. And on Thursday afternoon I have a dentist appointment, so I may not get in my workout then either. I am most definitely NOT losing 3 pounds this week. Oh well...I suppose I can extend my goal for one week due to the week and a half I had the plague.

So, until I find the time to write a serious post... just know that God has been doing a work in my heart and (as you may have noticed from some of this post) a lot of it has to do with serving others. I look forward to sharing what He is teaching me. Hope this post can hold you over until then!

~Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...