Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Procrastination Masked as Productivity

How can you say I'm being unproductive? I'm PRODUCING a blog as we speak! Or rather, as I write and as you read...though the writing bit will be in the past by the time you are reading... See? I'm not only being productive, I'm thinking critically!

I try to defy it but, alas, I am procrastinating. Yes, I am several chapters behind in my reading for my Admin. in Student Services class. Yes, I have a short paper due next week that I haven't started. Yes, I have some group projects coming up that I haven't given much thought to. But you're missing the point of all that I have done! Because already today I have worked 4 hours, gone to the bank, purchased dish soap and sponges for the office kitchen, read through my class notes for Contemporary College Student, taken a quiz over said notes, and...yeah, that's about it. It may sound impressive, but it's really not. That quiz was straight from the notes and took literally 1 minute to complete. I still have 2 hours before my class starts and I really should get going on this laundry list of assignments. BUT FIRST--blogging! :)

I've been really into reading blogs lately. So much so that the majority of the blogs I follow are people that I'm not really close with in "real life." Some of them are acquantances from college like Wendi Nunnery and Emily Haymans, some are people I may have had a class with...or maybe had Bible study with? Today I became a follower of Jenna Secrist's blog, and to be honest, I don't remember how I know her. But we're friends on facebook so that has to mean something! And I even follow people who I don't know at all simply because I happened upon their blogs through Blogger's website. Is this weird? I was thinking today, as I clicked "follow" on Jenna's blog...is she going to think it's strange that I'm following her? Will she think, who is this new follower and why does she want to read about my life? (or maybe she's better than me and actually remembers how she knows me and doesn't think it's strange at all!) But then I decided, it's a compliment. I mean, the surest sign that your life is interesting and your writing is captivating is that a total stranger (or almost-stranger) wants to read it. There's no guarantee about either of these things just because a couple of your closest friends follow your blog. They could be doing that out of obligation! But someone who has no guilty feelings about ignoring your blog entirely--now that's someone you want to capture! At least, these are my thoughts on the matter. No offense to my loyal followers who are in fact my close friends! I appreciate your... umm...followship! :)

In other news, I did manage to lose a pound last week despite the lack of working out! But this week I do not have as high of hopes. Last week I at least had the workouts of the previous weekend to back me up. This week I'm still battling the plague and don't see much excerise in my immediate future. Plus, we went to Ruby Tuesday last night for Valentine's Day and had spinach dip.... bad news! And then we went to La Berry for dessert. Granted, that's better than Baskin Robbins or something, but still. OH--and someone brought donuts to work yesterday. DRAT!

Well, I guess I better go make a dent in that list of graduate school nonesense they call "homework." Actually, I don't usually call it that. Sounds so grade school, doesn't it? I prefer to call it "work" or "studying" or "reading." Homework sounds like writing out sentences from your vocabularly words and then writing the definitions. Ick! Though that would be far less challenging than the items on my agenda...

I'll leave you with this tid-bit of information that my hubby was THRILLED to find out today...Carrot Top's real name is Scott Thompson. That's right...my red-headed husband shares a name with the dreaded Carrot Top! Though I have to say, I got the better red-headed Scott! Wouldn't you agree?



Best of luck on your productivity level! Oh, and if you happen to produce a blog--send it my way! :)

~Christy

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I especially loved the description of what you were thinking when you decided to follow a new blog...made me laugh! Good luck with your procrastination..keep at it! There is always time to catch up on reading for class :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. Carrot Top? What happened? Why are you so incredibly scary?! And why are your arms so big?! haha. Nice try evil Scott!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...