Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Stories!

In the spirit of good ol' V-Day, I thought I would document a few of my favorite Valentine's Day memories. Don't worry, none of these will be sweet and romantic except the ones with my husband--I'm not crazy! :)

Well, there was the time that my boyfriend and I went to dinner and a movie. We picked Final Destination 2. No, not very romantic. But the choice was mutual, so I can't blame him for that. I don't like to make decisions, so when we got to the theater, I insisted that he pick where we sit. I started walking down the aisle, backwards down the stairs, saying "should we sit here? here? how about here?" and I tripped and fell. Down the stairs. Okay, they are very shallow stairs so it wasn't really an epic fall or anything. But it was enough to draw some attention...some concerned gasps and some flat out laughing. Don't worry--I was laughing too.

There was the time when the current boyfriend bought me a printer cable for Valentine's Day. Yes, you read that correctly. I somehow misplaced my USB cable to connect my printer to my computer and he replaced it for me...as a Valentine's gift. Thoughtful? I guess. Romantic gift? Heck no!

My favorite of all bad V-day stories happened 6 years ago. The guy I was seeing was not technically my boyfriend, but he may as well have been. Let's put it this way...our FB status was "it's complicated." Anyway, I had to work until 9 PM that night, and I wasn't expecting gifts or a date or anything. When I left work, I found a rose on my car windshield. I immediately thought it must be the kinda-boyfriend. I called him and he denied knowing anything about it. I started racking my brain trying to figure out who it could be from. It had to be someone who knew where I worked, what my schedule would be, and what car I drive. There was a guy I worked with who was always asking me out, and was a little creepy. I thought maybe it was him. So, I texted him and asked. He admitted that it was him and he hoped I liked it. It was a little strange, but whatever. Later that night I was talking to the kinda-boyfriend on the phone and I explained who the rose was from. He was really confused and then angry, and then he told me that HE gave me the rose! But...he said that he didn't...right? Right. He was lying before. Trying to mess with me. Sweet, I know. So...now I have this kinda-boyfriend who gave me a rose and then denied it, and this creepo guy at work who took credit for something he didn't even do! I later confronted him about it and he admitted that it wasn't him, but he was hoping I would want to date him if I thought it was from  him. Yikes!

My husband and I don't usually make a big deal about V-Day. We go out, he usually buys me flowers or a sweet surprise, and that's about it. It's nice, but it's not like a huge deal for us. I mean, we are together all the time and we always express our love for one another. But our very first Valentine's Day when we were dating was really special. Keep in mind, this was the V-Day immediately after the creepy car rose one. You can imagine how astonished I was at an actual romantic evening. He cooked dinner for me at his apartment, he bought me flowers; he covered the table with a black sheet b/c he didn't have a table cloth; he made creative desserts using vanilla wafers and yogurt; and he made me a mixed CD that we played while we ate. Oh, and he folded up a note with my name on the outside to mark my seat. :) It was definitely my best V-Day to date.

Today he surprised me again. We celebrated over the weekend so I wasn't expecting anything at all. But when I got out of the shower this morning, the bed was made and there was a note and a chocolate on my pillow. The note was 2 pages long and it documented some of his favorite memories with me. Many of them made me laugh out loud, and I definitely cried as well. It was such a wonderful surprise and the very best way to start off any day. :) I'm so blessed to have him and have all those crazy, creepy, and disappointing Valentine's Day dates behind me!

Hope your day is sweet, simple, extravagant, romantic, intense...whatever you like and desire!

~Christy~

2 comments:

  1. You my dear got a good one. I am really happy for you guys and proud I got to share in your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh stoppppppp. Your husband is the SWEETEST! 2 pages? LOVE it!
    And I loved reading about your past Valentines dates :) I have to say that my favorites are the ones with your hubs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...