Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Hate Being a Sicky...

For at least the past 4 years, I remember getting sick in February. I think it's a curse. Or maybe just a change in weather. Who knows? But, as usual, I found myself sick in February again this year. I have had a nasty head cold since Saturday night. I spent several hours on Saturday in band practicing, getting ready to do live worship for the kids at church on Sunday. By that night, I had this feeling that I was getting sick. Sometimes I just know. I had a slight tickle in my throat and chest, and was starting to feel fatigued. When I woke up the next morning, I knew I couldn't sing. I stayed home from church and slept until 11:30! Unfortunately I had to work that afternoon for an induction ceremony for an honors society. I decided to suck it up and go. I wasn't TOO sick then, just not feeling my best. Turns out, I was on my feet the entire time I was there--which was about 3 hours. Most of which was spent actually standing on stage, under the spotlight, ushering inductees off the stage in the correct direction, without tripping! By the end of the ceremony, I felt like I could pass out from standing for so long. I immediately went home and spent the rest of the evening on the couch, feeling lousy.

I woke up Monday morning, determined to go to work, but knew that it was not possible. I have 2 jobs...1 in the morning and an internship in the afternoon. I decided I would call in to my morning job and still try to make it in the afternoon. I am an academic advisor in the afternoon, and I actually have appointments. So calling in sick involves having people take over your appointments. I did not want to do this. But around 9:30, I knew I was not going to make it in. So I bit the bullet and called in sick.

Yesterday a similar thing happened, but I was still bound and determined to go to my internship. I got there and was immediately sent home b/c I was obviously sick and they didn't want me spreading my germs. Today I woke up, showered, and still felt exhausted just from standing in the shower that long. I can tell I'm getting better. I feel MUCH better than I have the past few days, but compared to a normal day I still feel pretty crappy. I went ahead and called in to both places.

But I'm telling you now, I WILL go to work tomorrow, no matter what!! Of course, I won't really if I'm still sick, but I think I will be well enough to go by tomorrow. If I continue to improve at the same rate, I think I'll be ready to go back. But mostly I'm just ready to be done with this whole sick business! I'm bored out of my mind sitting at home alone all day. I hate feeling all this pressure on my head and in my sinuses. I hate not being able to breathe or taste my food. I've hardly eaten at all this week because I can't taste it anyway. I'm living off of herbal tea and PB&J's. And for some reason today, I've felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness being home alone (with the kitties...have to give them some credit!). I keep crying for no apparent reason. I feel guilty being home from work, I feel stressed getting behind on school stuff, and I feel just plain sick! Both physically and emotionally. Sick of being sick!!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back in the routine. And ready for a 2-day work week! ha! At least I'm working extra hours for one of my jobs next week so that should help make up for most, if not all, the hours I'm missing this week. As for my internship hours...no idea how I'm going to make those up. But I'm trusting that it's all going to work out in the end.

Wishing health to you all!

~Christy~

1 comment:

  1. I know it's been a few days since this post, but I hope that you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...