Monday, April 4, 2011

Fun Times

I had a great weekend! Lots of fun updates to share!

Friday afternoon I went shopping for baby shower gifts for my best friend Hayley and bridal shower gifts for my friend Ryann. I had a lot of fun picking stuff out. I love buying gifts and giving to others. I always wish I could do more, though. The one sad part of my shopping excursion was overhearing a lady cussing out her 3-year old like it was no big deal. She was saying the most horrible things to him. She was obviously angry with her significant other (husband? Boyfriend?) b/c she was telling her son to stop b-ing at her b/c his daddy already f-ing b-ed to her all morning. Okay, this doesn't work so well with the abbreviations. But I would not be able to bring myself to use the language she was using. She was dropping F-bombs and GD's like it was no big deal. And she didn't even care that people could hear her. There was no shame there at all. I was so sad for her and especially for her little boy who will have to grow up in that environment. I had to stop and pray for her and spent a good 5-10 minutes praying about it when I got home, too. It made me so angry and sad at the same time. I just wished there was something I could do. But I gave it to God and that's the best thing to do.

Friday night Scott and I got CPR Certified through church for working with Konnection Kids (our children's ministry). That was as fun as a certification process can be. We watched a First Aid video that was corny at times, and we had some good laughs when the infant dummies' heads wouldn't stay on when we were giving them CPR. Later that night we attempted to watch Winter's Bone but couldn't stay awake. It was late, and that movie isn't particularly thrilling. Mostly I just wanted to see it b/c the lead actress is the girl who was picked to play Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games movies that are coming out next March. I wanted to see what this girl was all about. I was pleased to see she is actually a good actress. Though she doesn't look like the character as I envisioned her, she roughs up pretty good which is necessary to play Katniss.

Saturday we slept in until 11:30 which was FABULOUS! I felt sleep deprived all week long, so it was nice to catch up a little. I didn't even feel like a zombie when I woke up. After breakfast and showering, we spent an hour or so just listening to music, singing, and Scott played along with the songs with either his guitar or trumpet. By the time we were done with that, we had just enough time to eat a late lunch and then start heading to Pooler where we had dinner and hung out with our friends April and Waring Harvey. We love hanging out with them. We don't have to do really do anything, and it's always a good time...just sitting around talking and catching up. They are so funny! I miss April so much, and it's great to get to spend time with them.

Sunday was especially eventful! We woke up early and went to church. When we arrived we were asked to help with Communion at the end of the service. Scott does this as an usher/greeter, but I had never helped with it before. I served the bread: "The body of Christ, broken for you." It was a really awesome experience. I really felt the Holy Spirit moving through me, and it was wonderful getting to serve in that way. It was such a literal and concrete example of God using me to share His love. I loved it!

After church, we did our usual grocery shopping and lunch. Then we had to power clean our house because we found out only the night before that our good friend Drady, who moved back up to Atlanta after graduation, would be visiting as well as Scott's parents!! We somehow managed to clean both bathrooms, the kitchen, dust the important furniture, vacuum/sweep the floors, and spot-mop...all in about 40 minutes! It was insane! But we had about 5 minutes to spare before Drady showed up. Once everyone arrived, we just hung out at the house, talking and catching up. It's nice to chill and spend time with family and friends. Then we went to Mellow Mushroom for dinner. We were going to go to La Berry afterwards, but the line was almost out the door, so we passed. Poor Drady drove all the way back to Atlanta after leaving our house at 8 pm! Scott's parents spent the night, but were planning to leave this morning after we left for work. I assume they have already left.

So, that was my big-super-fun weekend! :) This week I have LOTS to look forward to (as well as DREAD!). Hopefully another awesome workout in about 10 minutes, couples group tonight, Erin (Scott's sister) coming up on Thursday to defend her thesis, Scott's parents coming back down to celebrate Erin passing her thesis this weekend, going up to Atlanta Saturday for Hayley's baby shower, and hopefully other fun things along the way! The dreaded stuff....school, SCHOOL, and more SCHOOL!! But that's okay. Only a few more weeks left...if you can believe it! I hardly can! That also means not much time left to finish all my many assignments and projects! But I know God will provide His wisdom and guidance to help me complete them all as He sees fit. It's amazing the difference it makes approaching school work through the Holy Spirit rather than my flesh. I'm so much more calm and I don't procrastinate nearly as much. I'm so thankful for that! :)

Well, I hope you all had a great weekend, too! Any good stories? I would love to hear! Leave comments! :)
And have a GREAT week!
~Christy

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Fun times indeed! I'm glad we got to serve communion together! It was only my second time doing it, but it's always so powerful! I love you:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...