Monday, May 5, 2014

Being Genuine

Two similar things happened last week that left me feeling convicted.

As I'm sure you've realized from the blog lately, I've become pretty passionate about pregnancy, labor/delivery, parenting, breastfeeding, etc... I love reading about it, talking about it, sharing stories and encouraging others.

In my work book club we somehow went from talking about introverts and extroverts (the topic of the book we're reading) to breastfeeding. Someone said, "I'm not sure how we got on the topic of breastfeeding!" To which I replied, "I'm sure it's my fault! It just always seems to come up with me!"

And one of my coworkers and friends just had a baby this week. She previously was unsure about breastfeeding and thought she may not want to even try it. Turns out, she has tried it and is really enjoying it so far and wants to keep at it! I was SO unbelievably excited!! I just wanted to keep telling her stuff and giving advice (and probably talking too much!). After I rambled for a while, I said, "I'm not sure why I care so much, but I do!"

Why do I care so much? Because I believe it's an awesome experience and it's what is best for the baby and I want every mom and baby to get to experience it also. I also feel like there is a lot to know about breastfeeding and many moms are unaware. I want to make sure they have an opportunity to know about it!

Why does it come up so often? Because if you care about something enough, it just comes up naturally.

Immediately following each of these events, I felt like God was reminding me that this is how I should feel about Jesus. I know firsthand how a relationship with Jesus can change your life for the better. How I am more joyful, more fulfilled, and understand how to love more completely. I know that Jesus provides security, not in the worldly sense, but in the eternal sense. I know that no matter what this world throws at me - and it will throw some doozies - that God has my back. And that helps me maintain peace, comfort, and strength in all that I do. I know that Jesus has forgiven my sins and I know that with that comes amazing freedom. So....if I really know and believe these things, why are my conversations not constantly going in that direction? Why do I not frequently sit back and wonder, how did we get from x,y,z to Jesus?? Because I should. If I can be that way with breastfeeding, how much more should I be that way with Jesus?

Hobbies, interests, and passions are not bad things. In fact, they are often very good things! And there is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to educate and encourage new moms about the awesome design of pregnancy, delivery, and breastfeeding. Those things are straight from God, after all.

I'm not saying we should do/talk about good things less often.

But as Jesus said, "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks" (Matthew 12:24). 

And what should be overflowing from our hearts no matter what? Love for Jesus! Therefore, we should naturally be speaking of it as well. It's not about forcing Christianity on people or trying to convert everyone you come across. It's about sharing your life with others, talking about what's important to you, and being genuine with your friends and family.



If I am genuinely a follower of Christ, shouldn't this just come up?

I pray that God would continually fill me with His Spirit, humble me and remind me of His goodness and grace, and give me the courage to be genuine with the people in my life.

I pray that I walk away from several conversations this week thinking, How did we get on the topic of Jesus?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...