Tuesday, August 19, 2014

12 Years a Slave

Via

I recently watched the movie 12 Years a Slave.
I want to say something, to respond in some way, to express how I felt watching this movie.
But I'm having a hard time putting it into words. 
Forgive me for the somewhat unstructured spattering of emotions to follow.

I knew the movie would be hard to watch, and I was right.
I physically could not watch parts of it and had to look away.
I found myself crying within the first 15 minutes.
Even before anything especially gruesome happened,
when the kidnappers repeatedly beat the men across the backs and in the face shouting,
"You're a slave!"
I was already in tears.

I'm horrified, horrified that evil like this exists.
This type of violence, abuse, and neglect was prevalent just
150 years ago in our country.
Right here where I stand today, something truly evil could have happened.

 Even today, while no longer legal,
people are being mistreated to this extreme level.
Slavery still exists in all parts of the world.
People are still out there being beaten,
tortured,
separated from their families,
raped,
murdered.

The very thought of it makes me sick.
And though slavery is no longer considered commonplace,
that evil that fueled the practice of slavery
is still very much present in our world.
Maybe it's working its way out in different sins,
or maybe it's just simmering beneath the surface of someone's heart.
But evil didn't die when slavery was outlawed.

I hate that my baby has to grow up in such an
awful, fallen world. 

I used to think that verses in the Bible about Christians being called to hate the world were baffling and, quite frankly, a little harsh.
It seemed so contrary to the message of love I was accustomed to.
But the more I reflect on the ways of the world,
and how far removed it is from God and His character,
I realize it's not strange or unlikely.
In fact, it is pretty hard not to hate the world.

Please don't misunderstand.
I'm not saying I hate everyone and everything.
I don't hate the beauty of creation in this world.
And I know we are called to love others.
But when the authors of the Bible reference "the world,"
they mean the world apart from God.
The fallen and sinful.
The dirty and evil.
Those who have not been saved and redeemed by Jesus,
and who delight in the sufferings of others.

I get that.
I totally do.
After watching 12 Years a Slave,
I was reminded of how much I love God
and how much I hate the world.
And I just look forward to the day He delivers us from all that
and banishes evil for good.

Until then,
I cling to Him.
His goodness, His grace, His love and mercy.
As I journey through life and grow in my relationship with God,
He guides, encourages, and instructs me to become more like Christ.
And I do what I can to help foster that relationship for others.

Sometimes I feel like it's not enough.
Like I should be doing MORE.
Maybe I should. Maybe God will call me to do something HUGE.
Or maybe He'll just call me to love others, encourage others, show others the truth of His Word.
And maybe others will grow in their relationships with God and start becoming more like Christ.
And piece by piece, bit by bit, the world will become a better place.
And isn't that a pretty huge thing?
  
I am thankful for this movie and the truths it reveals.
This response is admittedly all over the place and a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the graphic details displayed in the movie.
But I think my ultimate reaction would be this --

Pray. 
For all those hurting in the world.
For Jesus to return and banish evil.
And in the meantime, 
for peace, comfort, and relief.
For instruction on how to raise Grayson to know God. 
So that he will always have hope, despite the fallen circumstances of his surroundings.
For guidance on how to act,
what ministries to contribute to and be involved with.
For opportunities to serve and love those who are hurting.
And to be a light unto the world, 
because this dark world needs an awful lot of light.

Have you seen this movie yet? What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...