Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Reminder...

Today I read back through some of my old journal entries from last year. Journaling is something that I've missed terribly since having Grayson. I used to spend 20-30 minutes each morning praying, reading the Bible, and journaling. Scott would do the same. We were together, but we were having time with God independently. Since having Grayson, my morning routines look a little different. We found the best way to still have time in the Word is to read it together and discuss it together. This can be done while I'm feeding myself or Grayson, and doesn't require my hands (since Scott usually reads)! In a way, I prefer the way we do things now. It's such a sweet and wonderful time, and I really love talking with Scott about scripture--hearing his perspective and bouncing ideas off each other. He helps me grow, for sure. And I love being cuddled up in bed with my two favorite people, talking about Jesus! But there is a still a large part of me that misses that time of sitting quietly, pen to paper, talking to God or reflecting on what I'd read. I still do it occasionally, but it's usually in the rare times that I'm home alone and Grayson is asleep. The term "quiet time" has never been more significant!

So, today I was reading through last year's journal entries because it's enlightening and interesting to see how far I've come in just a year. And it's also a great way to relearn some of the things I read last year. And, perhaps my favorite reason for rereading journal entries, it truly shows God's faithfulness. I can see how he brought me through things, and how much stronger I am today because of it.

I want to share with you my journal entry from November 10, 2013. Grayson was 1-month old and I finally had time to write something. Before then, I was too much of a mess and had my hands full--literally! This entry is a reminder of the phases that God has helped me through so far in Grayson's life, and reminds me that He will continue to help me through the many, many more phases yet to come!

(This was written after reading 1 Corinthians 1)

I have a 1-month old baby now! It has been anything but easy. Now, more than ever, I have to rely on the Lord in all I do. I need His strength and His rest just to make it through each day. I need His wisdom and discernment in all my decisions. I need His comfort when fear sets in. I need His love when I feel like I'm being leached of all of mine. I need His patience when my limited supply is spent. 

It's times like these that I'm so thankful to be one of the "foolish" ones who look to Christ for everything. He is my hope and salvation. And though it's impossibly hard, this sweet little boy is my constant reminder of how good God is. He is my little miracle! 

How about you? Do you journal? Do you ever reread old entries? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...