Thursday, August 14, 2014

Busy-Ness

Via

 I think I'm one of those sadistic people who thrive on being busy. Like, just a little too much on my plate and I could legitimately lose it at any point but I manage to tread water and keep it together kind of busy. I am incredibly busy these days, and yet here I am, furiously pounding out a blog post during my lunch break.

I think there is a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment in successfully juggling several different responsibilities that I just don't get from any amount of peace and restfulness. I wonder if I've just conditioned myself to be this way because I was so busy for so many years? It's really the way of our world, isn't it? Even children these days are having to pencil activities into their packed schedules. For the time I was in graduate school, I often juggled the responsibilities of a part-time job, a part-time internship, school, church, friends, and family. I discovered that the art of piecing together the puzzle of fitting X amount of responsibilities into 24 hours was actually somewhat exhilarating. Call me crazy, but I actually like feeling a bit frazzled from time to time. I think it makes all the things I'm doing feel more important or something.

Maybe this attitude is not always the best. I certainly don't want to be one of those people who can't take a break, relax, unplug, and rest! And I don't think I am. My gosh, do I love sleep! And I cherish evenings with my husband, on the couch, watching TV. I look forward to quiet moments to read a book. One of my favorite parts of my weekend is sharing a nap with Grayson, usually on Sundays after church. But I find that having a running to-do list and a lot of commitments is actually a good thing for me. A planner with lots of notes, scribbles, and highlighted items (which means completed) gets my inner nerd all revved up! :)

In this season of life, I'm keeping quite busy. At work, I'm preparing for fall advisement which will soon be just shy of all-consuming, I serve on the academic advising training committee and help plan and manage professional development opportunities, I co-lead an office book club, I'm teaching an orientation class, and I'm trying to keep up with random other issues and departmental relationships necessary to complete my job. This week, I also have to work on Saturday for our final orientation. At home, I'm a mom, which comes with all sorts of obligations, including but not limited to: playing with Grayson, reading to Grayson, generally watching him to make sure he doesn't swallow some non-food or crawl into the fireplace, feed him both with solid food and by breastfeeding, give him a bath, snuggle him, rock him to sleep, and wake up 1-3 times a night to nurse him. I also must prepare bottles for the next day and wash bottles from the current day. Plus, working to keep the house tidy and cook meals. THANKFULLY, Scott is the best husband and daddy in the whole wide world (I'm pretty convinced!) and he shares every single responsibility with me. I cannot imagine trying to tackle all of that without him. I'm not that in love with being busy! ;)

I try to workout occasionally, though I haven't done as much lately as I would like. I have been doing the 30 Day Ab/Squat challenge (on day 25!). I also serve twice a month at church and Scott and I lead a small group once a week. Once a month I host a group for working moms. And of course, I like to spend time with friends and family which is a time commitment, especially when it involves traveling and dedicating a full weekend to the occasion.

Life is madness. Sometimes it's overwhelming. It's often tiring. But I still LOVE it! I couldn't do it without God and His unfailing strength and the rest I find in him. Waking up in the mornings and doing Bible study in bed with Scott and Grayson fuels me for my whole day. Well, that and a cup of coffee! ;)

What about you? I know we're all busy these days, but do you love it, hate it, or wish you had more time to rest?

Now, time to get back to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...