Monday, July 15, 2013

My Pregnancy Must-Haves: Clothes

If you're just joining me, I'm doing a series on my personal pregnancy must-haves. Last time, I talked about resources (books, videos, websites, etc). Today, let's talk about something a little more fun, shall we? Clothes!!

Oh, clothes during pregnancy. Always an adventure.

As I moved toward the end of my first trimester, my clothes didn't fit the same anymore. My midsection was thicker. I felt huge. I experienced a lot of bloating during this time, so not only was my midsection thicker, but it was uncomfortable. My pants didn't want to button comfortably anymore, and I basically always worried that people were going to think I was just getting fat. I was not obviously pregnant yet, not really what people call "showing," but my body was certainly changing.

I thought I would try buying some maternity clothes, but that didn't help. Nothing fit! I was still too small for everything I tried. These were my must-haves for my first trimester and (for some of them) beyond:

Yoga Pants
C9 by Champion® Womens Extended-Sizes Bootcut Athletic Pants - Assorted Colors
buy them at Target
These were comfortable, stretchy, and MUCH more flattering than sweats or baggy PJ bottoms.
I wore these around the house, to bed, to workout, and just as regular pants. 
As my belly grew, I just folded down the waistband. 
I haven't worn them in a couple months, mostly because it's so hot here, but I'm betting they would be a little snug now. Not sure. But I HIGHLY recommend them for early pregnancy. 

Maxi skirts
Mossimo® Women's Knit Maxi Skirt - Assorted Colors
Buy it at Target
They have stretchy waistbands that can grow with you, and then you can wear them under your belly as you get bigger. These were a lifesaver during that I don't look pregnant, just fat stage. 
Now that I'm full-on preggo belly, I still enjoy wearing my maxi skirts. 

The belly band
Buy it on Amazon
This is my personal favorite. Saved my life. Seriously. You need one, too!
It was perfect from the moment it felt better to leave my pants unbuttoned
all the way until where I am currently...pants unbuttoned, unzipped, and not even close to coming together!
This bad boy has allowed me to continue wearing all my pre-pregnancy pants.
Maternity clothes are not cheap. Especially not pants.
And since I work in an office setting, it would be expensive to buy all new work slacks.
So far I have only had to purchase one pair of maternity slacks. 
Thank you, belly band! 


About halfway through my 2nd trimester, I started wearing actual maternity clothes. Just a few pieces here and there. Mostly because I wanted some better fitting shirts, and larges were too big up top. Maternity tops are built to be bigger in the belly and still small in the arms and chest (if you are a small pre-pregnant size). I only bought a couple shirts at first. Towards the end of my 2nd trimester, I bought more pieces which I now wear frequently. My recommendations for maternity shopping are:

 

These are the places I have used for maternity clothes and have been quite successful. 

And now here are the other clothing/accessory items that have been essential during my pregnancy thus far:

Skinny Jeans 
I know this seems contradictory,
but I've found that my skinny jeans are the only ones that still fit.
I don't even need the belly band on one pair! 
(Granted they were from before I lost my weight, so they had some room to begin with)
They are a stretchy material and they sit below my belly.
So I still wear them! And they look great! 

Long camisoles
My 27 week picture. Notice the white camisole .

These allow me to wear my pre-pregnancy shirts without fear of them riding up and showing
the bottom of my belly.
I don't wear any shirts that come way up on my belly,
but some do sit right at the bottom and if I 
move around a lot I would probably be showing skin. 
The camis help with this.

Dresses (especially wrap or A-line style)

17 Weeks vs. 26 weeks...same dress.

These leave plenty of flowy room for my bump to grow.

And that's about it! I've just entered my 3rd trimester so there may be more clothing items I've yet to need or discover. We shall see!!

Happy shopping, mommies! :)

~Christy~

1 comment:

  1. I love your tips and i love your sense of style. You look really great even with that baby bump. I love camis. I have them in different colors and they are a big help. It's what i also do with camis. I wear a short over top. I have never really thought about the belly band, good thing that you mentioned about it. Maxi dresses and skirts and yoga pants are also my thing.

    - NineAndAHalfMonths.com

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...