Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Playlist for Grayson's Birth Day


via

Something people have been asking me about is my playlist for labor and delivery.
Do I have one? Do I want one? What kind of songs will I include?

At first I just answered with, "I have no idea!"
I know that sometimes when tensions are high, any kind of noise at all, including music, can become annoying. And not knowing how I would react to labor, I wasn't sure if this would be the case for me or not.
Of course, I still don't know for sure.
But as I get closer to my due date (10 more weeks!!!), 
I'm starting to feel more in touch with how I think I will react to things.
And I think I will want music. 
(Even if I don't, there's no harm in making a playlist and then not using it!)

And really, it just makes sense.
Music has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember.
When I was little, I always carried around a battery-powered boom box
and played tapes of kid songs.
I played it at my great-grandma's house,
at my neighborhood playground,
at friends' houses,
all the time.

I loved hearing my dad play guitar and sing.
I danced to Paula Abdul and Madonna with my mom.
And music playing in the car was essential.

Growing up, I always had music on in my room,
and was always plugged into a walkman or discman on family trips.
My friends and I would stay up all night playing our CDs.
Any spare money I had would be spent on music.
I used to even sleep with the radio on.

Even today, I always turn the radio or Pandora on when we're cooking
or just hanging out and drinking wine (pre-pregnancy, of course!).
And I love to make playlists for each vacation we take.

So, it seems only fitting that I have a playlist for labor and delivery.
Of course. Why wouldn't I?
It would seem I don't like to function without music,
so I think it'll help to have it playing during everything.
We'll see.
Worst case, I turn it off or switch to another playlist.

But now--I need some suggestions!
I already have 59 songs on my list,
but I want it to be as long as possible.
Who knows how long I'll be in labor or
how long I'll want to listen to music?
But the last thing I want is to get sick of the songs being on repeat the whole time.

I'm going for mellow, happy, relaxing, and/or uplifting.
Not so much the energizing work-out type songs,
although I am tempted to add "Push It." :)

Some artists I already have include:

Kristian Stanfill
Chris Tomlin
Butch Walker
Jason Mraz
Chopin
Beethoven
Matt White
Ben Rector
James Morrison
Hillsong
Casting Crowns
Tim McGraw
Meredith Andrews
Evanescence
Keane
and many more!

Suggestions, anyone?
Did you or do you plan to use a labor playlist?
What kind of music did you include?

Thanks for the ideas! :)

~Christy~

1 comment:

  1. Dave Barnes, Adele, Plumb, The Civil Wars, Sarah Bareilles, Jack Johnson, Ingrid Michaelson... you can also type in an artist you like on Spotify and it will give you a button to see related artists. That may help!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...