Friday, August 5, 2011

2 in one day! Just a couple pictures... :)









Hi, folks. I know I literally JUST submitted a post. But I wanted to share a couple pictures of the few crafty things I've done in an attempt to redecorate our home. :) 

This is the "hole" in our living room. 
It was designed to put a TV in it, but we have an entertainment unit for that.
This is how I decorated it when we first moved in. 
I like it. But it's a little boring. 

This is how it looks now. 
There's a little more going on, and it's more colorful. 
I still need to find a place for all our Picaboo albums, though....
And the tallest two candle holders still need candles!

These were just plain, wooden letters that I painted. 

This idea I really loved!
I found this VERY pretty pot for only $7.
I bought a foam insert.
I painted 4 white pipe cleaners blue and green.
I twisted them together, in pairs, leaving a fork at the top.
I taped pictures to the front of the forks.
Then I stuck in some colorful sprigs.
That's my fabulous niece, by the way! :)

This was just a wooden bird house that I bought from Hobby Lobby
for about $3.
I used Mod Podge to paste scrapbook paper to the tops.
I cut up pieces of another print of scrapbook paper and glued them
together on the front.
Then I painted the sides, bottom, and top blue.
Cute, huh? 

Again, just a plain wooden frame. $4
Mod Podged scrapbook paper to decorate it.
You can tell it's not perfect, but from further away it's really not obvious at all.

I wanted to use the pipe cleaners/pictures idea with Mason jars, too.
These are just ideas I'm playing around with.
They are not finished products.
Will likely find something pretty to fill the jars with.
I'm also not so sure about that polka dot ribbon....

I don't plan to leave the wall like this. It's far too plain and small
for such a large wall.
But I do like the scrapbook there.
I'll probably put more things up and rearrange the cross...or move it entirely.

This is the cross up-close.
It was only about $7.
Plain wood.
I used Mod Podge to glue the blue scrapbook paper onto it first.
Then I cut and positioned the pictures.
I used Mod Podge on the backs of the pictures to glue them down,
and then over the top of the whole thing for a protective, matte finish.
I also played with the colors of the pictures before printing them so they looked a little more muted.
 Well, that's it so far! I've got more ideas and definitely want to play around with things some more. After finishing up the living room, I'll probably move on to the guest room. I'm pretty satisfied with the other rooms in our house for now The sun room is a little plain, but whenever I get around to putting a fresh coat of paint on it and maybe reorganizing the bookshelves a little, I think it'll look much nicer.

What are some cheap and creative things you've done in your home lately? I'd love to hear!

~Christy~



1 comment:

  1. Nice job using scrapbooking paper, Christy!! I must warn you, though, it's an addiction (I papered a horse once, remember)! Before you know it, Scott will be getting nervous every time he sits down for very long- he'll be afraid you're about to slap some paint or paper on him. LOL! You should make a starburst mirror or several of them for your home- they're SO cute, easy, and cheap to make, and if you make several different sizes & styles, you can stylishly fill a large wall on the cheap. Look at this: http://westermanfam.blogspot.com/2011/05/sunburst-mirror-diy.html this: http://isabellaandmaxrooms.blogspot.com/2010/09/diy-sunburst-mirror-getting-some-blog.html and this: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/projects/diy-project-michelles-super-sized-sunburst-mirror-138633 I like your jars, too, including the polka dot ribbon. I would suggest something that is very large scale for layering other items in that niche, perhaps one very large piece of framed art, and you might want to consider painting it a coordinating color (all over the inside of it) to make it stand out as a design element. Also, I must say that your niece is, indeed, fabulous! :-) Nice work! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...