Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Search for Clients...

For those who don't know,
I'm working on a Counseling Masters. 
My concentration is Student Services in Higher Education.
Which is really a fancy way of saying I want to work in an office on a college campus.

Who knows if I will really ever be a "counselor?"
But this is the track I chose to reach my career goal.
Mostly because the idea of counseling is interesting to me.
And I think I can utilize those skills not only in some student services department,
but also in life in general.
I also hope that these skills help me in ministering to people in life.
And maybe one day I can work or volunteer for a ministry,
or I can lead Youth or a Small Group or something in a church. 
And I think those skills will be useful then.

ANYWAY, I say all this to lead into my current dilemma.
I'm completing my Practicum hours this semester.
Meaning, I have to find clients.
Real life clients.
Who want to be counseled.
By me.
For free.

You may think that since people pay absurd amounts of money for counseling every day
that I would have them lining up.
Not so much.
The hard part is, I can't KNOW the person already, 
or have a common relationship.
It can be a friend of an acquaintance, but when it's a friend of a friend, it's still a little hairy.
PLUS I'm not allowed to counsel a full-time Georgia Southern student.
Stupid school rules.
And that rules out a lot of potential clients right there, 
not to mention that college students are my EMPHASIS.
I digress.
ALSO I have to have at least 1 child (age 5-high school). 
Now how do I go about finding a random child to counsel?

But yeah.
That's what I'm working on these days.
So far I have one client.
I've had a few leads, but no more commitments. 
And finding clients isn't really the hardest part.
Then I have to actually counsel them.
It's going to be an interesting semester!!

~Christy~



1 comment:

  1. That's a tough one. Maybe post flyers at churches, doctor's offices, etc.? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...