Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's Complicated

Occasionally I have to remind myself why I love living in South Georgia. Because every now and again the reasons why I HATE dislike it seem to pile up and seem overwhelming. This especially happens in the summer. Boy, do I hate summer! The muggy, suffocating heat! We've been on a heat advisory for the last week or so. That means it's DANGEROUS to be outside here! That just isn't right. And as if the life threatening danger weren't enough, there are BUGS. Lots of them. Gnats mainly. Buzzing around your ears and eyes with that annoying, high pitched drone that can send anyone into a temper tantrum when combined with the awful heat. And we're far away from so many people who I love and miss like crazy. Our nearest family member lives 3 1/2 hours away. My niece is growing up super fast, 4 hours away, and I miss all the wonderful little milestones along the way. My sister is racing through her teenage years and has a father who makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for me to spend any real time with her. And I have grandparents who are aging, their last years going by, and here I am...seeing them once a year, if that.

When all these things pile up, it puts me in a bit of a funk. Stupid summer.

So, I have to remember why I've been here for the past 7 years and have no real plans to leave anytime soon. And it's not just because of school. It's because this is my home. It's more my home than any other place in the world. Even the town I grew up in is not my own anymore. And I really do love it.

We're within driving distance of the beach! 

We are super blessed with a wonderful house
complete with a pond
and sunsets to die for

I have lots of friends.
I know it's weird that I put up a picture of just one friend.
And me in toilet paper.
This was a for a bridal shower.
I like the picture.
Deal with it! :)

We're only an hour away from Savannah

And I do love Georgia Southern.
With all my heart.
I can't imagine attending or working for a different school.
But I am willing to work somewhere else.
maybe.
One day.
If the timing and opportunity is right.

And perhaps most importantly, we have a wonderful church family here.
We actually rent our house from our pastor's parents.
We are very close with the family.
We've made lots of great friends.
And the message and worship music is the best we've found.
I would be afraid to move somewhere and lose it.
but I know if we are called to move,
God will provide an anointed church for us to join. 
How about you? Ever think about moving? What keeps you where you are?

~Christy~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...