Monday, August 15, 2011

Serving Others...my inner ramblings

Lately I have felt challenged and encouraged to do more service work. I read the book Radical by David Platt. Our pastor has been preaching hard-hitting messages. And certain worship songs seem to be speaking directly to my heart, lately. I feel like God is teaching me what it means to serve others, revealing the need for service in the world, and preparing my heart for just that. The only trouble is, I'm not sure where to begin. I know I want to serve others, but I don't know how to get started. I serve at church all the time, which I love, but I also want to find ways to serve the lost--not just my fellow Christians. The starvation and disease taking it's toll on the horn of Africa is heartbreaking. Haiti, still piled so high with rubble, or Japan still suffering from their recent earthquakes...all these cases, and more, make me want to get out and help the world. I want to help those who are hurting. And I also want to share the love of God with others, so that even in hardships, they will have the joy of the Lord in their lives to sustain them. I also know that you don't have to go another country to serve hurt and  hungry people. There are people right here in our tiny community that need help and service. But how do you go about it? I feel like I can't just go up to strangers and ask how I can help them. And sometimes I'll see someone who I think looks needy, but I'm afraid to approach them, not wanting to offend them if they don't want help. And then there are the needy people who abuse the service of others by asking for money that they will only use for drugs, or who scheme and scam charitable people. I don't want to enable them... I guess I just don't know how to take the first steps in serving others. For now, I try to help out those who I know. One of my coworkers recently had a tree fall on her house. I donated to her and have offered to help in any way possible. I helped clean up my great-grandmother's house because she was physically unable to do it. Other than that, I donate clothing and money to various causes. But I'm wondering how to get more directly involved in service in my community and in the world. Have any of you done service work or have any advice for finding ways to get involved? I'm so thankful that God has put this on my heart. I guess for now I'll just continue to listen and submit to Him in any way I can, trusting that He will guide and provide a means for me to serve others in His name and to His glory.

~Christy~

1 comment:

  1. you will do great! it really does such a good job :) one girl made a comment on my blog that she lost 7 pounds after two weeks of doing it! crazy. I wont lie though I didn't even finish it the first time I tried it! hahaha It seems so simple, yet in reality it is SO hard! But you can do it :)!
    -Alycia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...