Friday, May 10, 2013

Most Embarrassing Moments


Day 10: Most Embarrassing Moment(s)

I’ve never had a true Seventeen Magazine embarrassing moment where I was talking to my crush and a pad fell out of my purse. But I suppose I have had some moments that made me blush or want to run in the opposite direction. None of which had to do with my period.

Thanksgiving 2012
This photo pretty much has nothing to do with anything.
Except that Scott and I had a graduate class together last year,
and one of the groups did a presentation on social media.
They were trying to show how it can be used against us
and we should be professional.
They pulled pictures from everyone's FB in the class for their powerpoint.
This is the one they used for me and Scott.
Honestly, I wasn't embarrassed.
If I didn't want people to know how crazy we were, I wouldn't have posted it. :)
The summer after 5th grade I wrote the boy I liked a letter and mailed it. I figured it was a good time to do it because I wouldn’t have to face him at school for the whole summer. He didn’t reply, so I wrote him another letter! (No, I couldn’t catch a hint!) Finally, after weeks of silence, I had my best friend call and ask if he liked me. He told her he would rather just be friends. Awkward.

In 6th grade my stepdad pulled aside my boyfriend (who happened to be in the 8th grade. Totally inappropriate!) and had a serious conversation with him. Something that went along the lines of you better not touch my daughter and definitely had the phrase I’m very fond of my daughter in it. Of course this guy told all the other guys in my neighborhood and it became a running joke. They would come up to me and say “I’m very fond of my daughter!” and laugh. I was humiliated, but looking back I totally don’t blame my stepdad. That guy was bad news and there is no way I would have let him near my daughter.

There was the time I had surgery on an abscessed hair follicle in my arm pit when I was in the 8th grade and one of my friends decided to make me a get well soon card and have everyone, and I mean everyone sign it. 
When I got back to school, all kinds of people who never knew me before suddenly knew me as the girl who had armpit surgery.

Speaking of 8th grade, something that everyone is always shocked to hear—I was sentenced to administrative detention and in school suspension for two different incidents of sexual misconduct/harassment. Yes, it’s true. I’m more embarrassed about it now than I was at the time. The ISS was because I made a crude comment to a boy on the bus and he told on me. Not only did I have to do ISS, but I also had to attend bus safety classes, since it happened on the bus. And the worst part was going to lunch. All the ISS kids had to walk in a silent, single file line to the cafeteria to pick up our food. I passed by one of my old teachers (who saw me as the angel I usually was, before and after the 8th grade year of terror!) and she pulled me aside and asked why I was in ISS. That was not a fun one to explain! The detention was for writing a note to my friend Hayley which included a sexual comment a boy in class made to me. The school tried to force me to file sexual harassment, but since I knew what it was like to be on the other end of that, I chose not to. But I did have to do detention for writing notes in class and having inappropriate conversations. I don’t think I made another sexual comment or engaged in anything remotely sexual for like 3 ½ years after all that!

There was the time(s) working at Kroger where I complained or made fun of a customer only to find that they were somehow standing behind me again or that the man in the next line over was with said customer. The trusty “oh, just kidding!” line is only so convincing…

I have never been good at History, and I distinctly remember how my 11th grade teacher always played quiz games with us 1-2 days before tests. Not only was I not good at it, but I was the type who waited until the night before to study for the test. So, of course, I didn’t know the answers the day before! You would think the embarrassment of not knowing what appeared to be really obvious answers and having other students laugh at me or groan and get angry that I was dragging the team down would entice me to study earlier. It did not. I just continued to be really embarrassed and awkward during those games.

I had several nights in college that I drank too much and did and said some really stupid things, only to feel completely humiliated and spend the whole next day calling everyone who I may have interacted with and apologizing. Usually they did not want to hear it because apparently I’m the type that also apologizes profusely when drunk. So, they had all heard it countless times the night before. I won’t go into detail about any of the really embarrassing things I did during those times, but let’s just say I’m glad that season of life is behind me!

These are really all over the place and I feel like I should be able to think of better ones, or at least more recent ones. But I guess I don’t embarrass that easily. Or I’ve just been fortunate enough to not have a lot of awkward situations happen to me, or at least to block them from my memory entirely. I hope you are all posting embarrassing moments today too so that I’m not alone!

~Christy~

4 comments:

  1. "I'm very find of my daughter" and armpit surgery... you handled those like a champ because I think I would have been pretty embarrassed, and I thought I didn't embarrass that easily! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't the friend with the card was I? If so I don't remember and I am really sorry! I am not sorry however, for telling the administration of our middle school that they were wrong in punishing you! Stupid record hair boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Armpit surgery had me laughing out loud. Sorry. It is a little awkward of mailing a boy 2 letters...i can definitely feel that. I've experienced the making fun of the customer and having them right behind you. I use the ole "I was talking about a different customer".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...