Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 12 is something or someone you miss.

I've actually written about this prompt before in the 30 DayPhoto Challenge a couple years ago. I wrote about my brother. That is still true, but I’ll pick something else for some originality!

In fact, I think I’m going to go a less serious route this time. Because there are so many people and places I miss, especially not having any family close by, it is too difficult to pick just one! But this is an honest post, nonetheless.

I miss The Sing-Off.



In my opinion, it was the best vocal competition show on television. Those singers had to perform every song with NO accompaniment (in case you haven’t seen it, it’s an a capella group competition). That means every note had to be spot-on! They had to create their own music with their voices. Not only that, but they created their own arrangements and chose their own songs (with the exception of a few judge’s picks towards the end of the competition). And the judges were legit, too. There was no…oh, let’s choose crazy judges who will be at each other’s throats every episode so more people will watch (ahem, American Idol!). Ben Folds knows pretty much every musical technicality that is out there, so he could really judge the performers on the quality of the music. Shawn Stockman was in BoysIIMen, so he can rock the a capella. And Sarah Bareilles was in an a capella group in college and is an awesome singer/songwriter. So, there! Oh, I should mention that Nicole Scherzinger was one of the original judges and I was pleased that she was replaced. And Nick Lachey was the host. He is terrible. But NOT as bad as Carson Daly. (PS-Nick Cannon is my favorite competition show host!) Just sayin’.

What else? Oh, Pentatonix! 


They were the winners last time the show ran (2011, I think). So amazing! Check out their video:



So, yeah! It was an awesome show. I may have a weird fascination with a capella (LOVED Pitch Perfect!!), but I still think it was a show of true talent, unlike many of the competition shows out there. The judges were worthy of actually judging someone’s singing ability. And there was no drama like all the other shows. It would come on in the fall and around Christmas time and Scott and I would always watch it all cuddled up on the couch, drinking hot chocolate and our house smelled like spiced pumpkin plug-ins. That may have a lot to do with it, too! : ) But anyway, I miss it. Clearly. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds amazing.. I hate TV singing competitions anymore. It's all the same crap!

    Mimi
    http://akuhei.nu

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...