Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 7--Most Treasured Item

Oh, I can never seem to pick just one thing, can I?


It was hard for me to think of what my most treasured item is. I've always been of the mindset that things are just things and can mostly be replaced. Even photo albums can be replaced these days because most of my pictures are saved on Facebook or other electronic devices. Of course, I'm not trying to trivialize the value of "things." I know many people have lost all their things in the tornadoes and other natural disasters of late, and I can only imagine how heartbreaking and difficult that must be. It would not be easy or enjoyable to lose my things. But it was hard to figure out what would be the most valuable of them all. I tried to think of those that cannot be replaced and are sentimental.

The first picture has a lot of meaningful things in it. Our wedding rings, The Bible, and my flowers from the wedding. Of course rings and Bibles can be replaced, and dried flowers are only so important, but these particular things are special. Even if we got new rings, it wouldn't be the same as the rings we picked out together before getting engaged. And this particular Bible is the one I gave Scott when he graduated college and the one used for the reading at our wedding. Each of these things holds a special meaning and set of memories for me.

The second picture is albums, a scrapbook, our guestbook, and my flowers in the space above our fireplace. When the house was built, the hole was intended for a TV, but we have an entertainment set that we use, so we just put decorations in that space. This picture was after we first moved in. The space is much more decorated now. But the reason I chose this picture is because of the various albums (and my flowers, again). The big one in the center is a sort of scrapbook that I made for Scott the second Christmas that we were together, right after we got engaged. I wrote a rhyming story about our relationship (maybe I'll type it up and post it one day!), along with pictures and stickers. Even though I have the pictures saved in other places, this is my only copy of the story, and I doubt I would ever recreate the whole book if it was lost. The album on the right is actually our wedding guestbook. We made a Picaboo photo album and had people sign around the pictures. Again, this cannot really be replaced, even though we have copies of the pictures elsewhere. And the album on the left is pictures from our wedding. Scott and I worked super hard and for MANY hours putting this together and making it look just right.

So, those are my most treasured items. What do you treasure most? I would love to hear! Comments, please! :)

~Christy

2 comments:

  1. Oh you are so so sweet! I think it's ok to cherish "things" as long as we're not worshiping them :) We were given feelings to become attached haha!
    Your ring is so pretty but question, what stone is in the middle?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! The stone in the middle of my ring is Tanzanite. I've always loved the idea of a colored stone rather than a diamond. It seems so much more unique. And I have VERY simple tastes, so I'm not one for a lotta bling! :) I admit part of the reason for this stone choice was because of the price. We got married on a TINY budget! But I love my ring and how unique it is. I will say, though, this stone does not hold its sparkle like a diamond does. I probably should have gone for a more precious colored stone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...