Monday, May 16, 2011

My Inspiration

Apparently there was chaos in blogland over the weekend and none of my scheduled posts actually went up. So...forgive me, but I'm going to post them all today! Here goes!


Today's challenge is a photo of someone who inspires me. That would have to be my grandpa Cecil  Murphey

Grandpa has accomplished more than any other person I know. He has lead an incredible life. I don't ever anticipate my life adding up to anywhere near as much as his, but he is a constant inspiration with his love for God, reading, writing, giving, and encouraging others.

He served in the Navy, completed 2 master's degrees from different schools AT THE SAME TIME, was a minister for 14 years, spent several years in Kenya as a missionary (my dad was actually born there!), and his is currently a writer, speaker, and teacher. He has published 120 books to date. Many as a ghost writer (writing the story for someone else), some a co-author (writing the story WITH someone else), and then several that were entirely his own work. Mostly he writes inpiring Christian books, but has also written a few mysteries, romances, and self-help type books. Ever heard of Gifted Hands (the Ben Carson story? Cuba Gooding Jr. plays him in the movie. Yes, they made it into a movie!)? Grandpa wrote it! You may have heard of 90 Minutes in Heaven. Yep, he wrote that one, too! :)

In fact, all the money he makes from that book (which is a lot...it's been on the best seller list since 2006), goes into an account that can only be used for non-profit organizations such as scholarships for schools and charitable donations. He funded a lot of my undergraduate education, including my study abroad trip to London, and he donates to every cause I have been a part of such as St. Jude's and Relay for Life. This year alone he donated $500 to me for Relay for Life. How awesome is that? He is so loving and giving, it's truly inspiring.

I just hope that I can love God with such intensity, make such an impact on the world, and give as freely and cheerfully as my grandpa! I doubt I'll ever be a minister or a best-selling author, but if I can love and give like him, I will be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...